Information on Verge Gardening
- Brisbane City Council Verge Gardening – policy and suggested plants. Compliance with the policy is essential to be part of this project.
- 10 Tips for Creating a Trouble-free Nature Strip – short article on starting a verge garden
- Verge Garden Basics – Understanding the Space – Verge gardens can be contentious and disputes can happen. This free online course will give you insights on how to avoid the pitfalls, ensure that you keep your neighbours on-side, and learn how to work collaboratively with councils to increase the urban tree canopy we so desperately need to tackle increasing urban heat.
- We suggest predominantly local native plants – for habitat and because they are suited to location.
- Kumbartcho Community Nursery at Eatons Hill is a good source of tubestock native plants. They have a stock list on their website updated every month
- Paten Park Nursery at The Gap has articles, a searchable directory of Queensland plants with photos and a stock list.
- Plants on Gayle’s nature strip – check the ACF Brisbane Northside events page for informal verge visits
- Examples of other verge gardens – you can also post a photo and story of yours to help others on the Shady Lanes website. Individual verge gardens from this project will be listed here.
- Flowers are ambassadors for your verge garden Flowers are good – both native flowers and old favourites that people recognise – but avoid invasive species.
- ACF Community Brisbane Northside an independently organised, volunteer-run group representing Brisbane northern suburbs and Moreton Bay region and is part of the Australian Conservation Foundation Community Group network. They run events on verge gardening and informal verge garden visits as part of their Nature campaigns.
- Greater Brisbane Gardening for Wildlife informal group
- Backyards for Biodiversity SEQ Group independent non-profit group set up in 2022. See also their website for lots of resources about increasing biodiversity
To suggest items to be added to this list, please use this form.